This Spotlight Series Event is brought to you in partnership with Integral Somatic Psychotherapy
Join Integral Somatic Psychotherapy® founder Raja Selvam as he shares a modern scientific basis for all somatic modalities.
These days, there is unprecedented interest in somatic interventions among mainstream psychotherapy professionals. In spite of this or perhaps because of it, CE organizations are increasingly withdrawing CEs for somatic approaches they used to approve on a regular basis, without offering clear reasons for the change in policy. Interestingly, mainstream modalities with neither scientific bases nor adequate outcomes research continue to receive CEs under a vague rule that they are used by a large number of mental health professionals.
A number of research findings in cognitive and affective neurosciences in the past twenty-five years have revolutionized our understanding of the central role played by the body in cognition, emotion, and behavior. This body of knowledge offers an adequate modern scientific basis for all body psychotherapy approaches, something that most mainstream psychological approaches lack. In this presentation, we will look at some of these findings, see how they constitute a solid scientific basis for somatic psychology, and explore how they could be used by different somatic psychology modalities to support their scientific validity.
Register now and we will send you updated information for the event and to be informed when the event recording is ready for viewing.
The Main Points of This Workshop:
1. Recent scientific findings on the important role of the body in cognition, emotion, and behavior
2. Recent scientific findings on the neurophysiology of cognition, emotion, and behavior
3. Recent scientific findings from the paradigm of embodied emotions
4. How these scientific findings together offer a solid scientific basis for all somatic psychology and body psychotherapy modalities
5. How these scientific findings can be used by different body psychotherapy and somatic psychology approaches to develop a scientific basis for their methods
Participants will be able to:
1. Cite two recent important scientific findings on the neurophysiology of cognition, emotion, and behavior
2. Cite two recent important scientific findings on the important role of the body in cognition, emotion, and behavior.
3. Cite two recent important scientific findings from the paradigm of embodied emotions
4. Describe how these recent scientific findings offer a scientific basis for all body psychotherapy and somatic psychology modalities
5. Describe how these recent scientific findings offer a scientific basis for one specific body psychotherapy or somatic psychology approach.
professional trauma training, and the developer of Integral Somatic Psychology (ISP) with the practice of embodying emotions as its coreclinical strategy. He is the author of the 2022 book The Practice of Embodying Emotions: A guide for improving cognitive, emotional, and clinical outcomes. His work is informed by multiple body psychotherapy approaches (Reichian Therapy, Bioenergetic Analysis, Bodynamic Analysis and
Somatic Experiencing), bodywork systems of Postural Integration and Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy, Jungian and Archetypal psychologies, Kleinian and Intersubjective schools of psychoanalysis, cognitive and affective neurosciences, quantum physics, yoga, Polarity Therapy, and Advaita Vedanta (s spiritual psychology from India). Dr. Selvam has taught for twenty-five years in nearly as many countries on five continents.
About the Spotlight Organization
Integral Somatic Psychology (ISP) considers every approach to psychotherapy as valuable and understands them all as components of a broad unifying framework built on Eastern and Western psychologies. It offers clinicians from diverse therapeutic modalities the possibility of increasing treatment efficiency through greater embodiment of all the bodies that constitute the psyche.
Get invited to events like these, updates on free resource materials and more. Subscribe to the USABP Highlights Newsletter.Sign Up
Check back as new information on our events happen regularly and updates are ongoing.
These exclusive webinars are brought to you by the USABP and its proud educational and training institute member organizations.
These live webinars are for Psychologists, Social Workers, MFTs. Counselors, Somatic Practitioners, Body Worker and other Health Professionals.
Registration is in three steps. Get the details below.
Non-members see special message* to you below.
Members you must be logged in to be able to access free registration.
*NON-MEMBERS SAVE NOW:
Non-members are better off to join the USABP. For a little more money paid as a member - instead of an event registrant - you can participate in 12 plus upcoming webinars FREE and get access to our library of training - lectures. Plus get our International digital and/or printed version of our International Peer Reviewed Journal and much more.
ABOUT OUR EVENTS
Our events often include demonstrations, video and slide presentations, experiential exercises, Q & A discussions, insights from attendees, presenter shares about their personal journey and inspirations, and much more.
These courses content levels serve introductory or beginning level; intermediate level; or advanced level.
Please cancel prior to 24 hours before the course starts. For questions or concerns, phone 202-466-1619.
Disability Access - If you require ADA accommodations please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
REGISTRATION is in three steps:
1) Register first on the USABP website (click the register button on this page), and then
2) Register at Zoom too. Use the Zoom link that we will email to you after you register with USABP (click the register button on this page to begin registration).
3) Once you register with Zoom. Zoom will send you your login link.
We look forward to seeing you at this premiere event.