Healing Shame in the Inner Teenager and Actual Teenagers
A Workshop for Therapists and Other Helping Professionals with Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP
2 Fridays: November 12 & 19, 2021
Online – Live and recorded, using Zoom
$395 full price / $375 with full payment by October 8 / Special price for interns
13 CE credits available for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California* – $40 fee
(See website for details)
Our inner teenager lives on! Though we may develop adult bodies and think our teen years are long behind us, somewhere inside that frustrated, scared, ornery, embarrassed, desperate-to-fit-in teen is still alive, deeply influencing our thoughts, words and actions.
In this workshop, we will teach you how to help your clients reestablish a healthy relationship with their inner teen—how to both listen and talk to that sensitive, creative and essential part of us. We will teach about developing identity, boundary setting, relationship dynamics, body image, nourishment, healthy eating and healthy self-care, and understanding the shame and fear that get in the way.
In this workshop you will:
• Join and explore the world of the teen. Find out where there was squelching of identity.
• Provide an inner champion or protector to provide healthy boundaries and a kind adult influencer/role model.
• Re-enact scenes when a teenager was shamed and/or subjected to peer pressure and/or made bad decisions, and repair or replace what they wish they could have said and done.
• Explore the psychosocial development of the teen years using Erickson’s stages “Identity vs. Role Confusion” and “Intimacy vs. Isolation.”
• Use drama therapy and expressive therapy processes, including role play, enactment and working with symbols and objects, to create a new coherent narrative that transforms the shame and trauma of teen years into new awareness, resilience and creativity.
This workshop will also cover case presentations, clinical processes, and exercises, for working with teens age 13 to 19. Each different age and each teen need different techniques. We cover therapeutic storytelling and story-making, therapeutic writing and poetry, and how to work with difficult emotions, such as when the client does not want to speak.
There is no prerequisite for this course.
TO REGISTER: Please visit the Schedule page at www.HealingShame.com or use this link: https://healingshame.com/new-events/2021/healing-shame-in-the-inner-teenager-and-actual-teenagers
For more information, call Sheila at 415-820-3974 or email Sheila@HealingShame.com.
For details about our complete training program in Healing Shame, and for free articles and webinars, visit our website.
Sheila Rubin and Bret Lyon are leading authorities on healing shame. They created the Healing Shame – Lyon/Rubin method and are the directors of the Center for Healing Shame, a continuing education provider that offers Healing Shame workshops to therapists and other helping professionals. They have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
*The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California – CAMFT-approved CE provider #134393. Courses meet the qualifications for hours of CE credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.