Shame and Aging: Healing the Shame of Aging in a Society that Worships Youth
An online event - Live and Recorded
Presented By: Sheila Rubin LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon PhD, SEP
We all go through it. No one is immune. And nothing produces more universal shame in our society than aging. Whereas many societies have deep respect for people as they age and see a vital role for elders, our society still worships youth. In this workshop, we will explore and learn to be more comfortable with our own aging process. And we will explore ways to help clients talk about, explore and heal their own shame around aging.
Sheila Rubin and Bret Lyon are leading authorities on healing shame. They have co-led Healing Shame workshops for over a decade, in many cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Berkeley, New York, Montreal, Ottawa, and Victoria, BC. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
A Workshop for Therapists and Helping Professionals
with Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP
Online, using Zoom – Live and Recorded
4 Fridays: March 20, 27, April 3 and 17 (No class April 10)
10am–1:30pm Pacific Time
$375 full price / $350 with full payment by February 14, 2020
Special price for interns
13 CE credits available (See website for details) - CAMFT CE provider #134393
We all go through it. No one is immune. And nothing produces more universal shame in our society than aging. Whereas many societies have deep respect for people as they age and see a vital role for elders, our society still worships youth.
In this workshop, we will explore and learn to be more comfortable with our own aging process. And we will explore ways to help clients talk about, explore and heal their own shame around aging.
• Discover ways to help clients become aware of the many messages they received and continue to receive about aging and body image from family and society.
• Learn ways to help clients cope with the shame of not being able to do all that they once did.
• Understand counter-shaming techniques to help ourselves and our clients find pride and joy in the new reality—seeing that there are real gains as well as losses in this new stage of life.
• Work with the shame that can cause and result from sicknesses and injuries.
• Identify challenges in being looked at as unimportant and “not up to par” by a youth-oriented society and the layers of shame that can occur.
• Discover how to make the necessary adjustments so we can regain access to the life force and creativity that we still have in a grounded and embodied way.
• Begin to shift and transform cultural stereotypes about aging by finding a reservoir of vitality, inner vision and clear action for the next phase of life, that may be hidden under shame!
There is no prerequisite for this course. It can be taken by itself or as part of a sequence.
TO REGISTER, please visit the Schedule page at www.HealingShame.com.
For more information, call Sheila at 415-820-3974 or email Sheila@HealingShame.com.
For details about our complete training program in Healing Shame, visit our website. You can also check out articles and free Healing Shame webinars.
The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California. Approved CE provider #134393. Berkeley and online courses meet the qualifications for 13 hours of continuing education credit. CE credits for PhDs and nurses licensed in California and PhDs, therapists and nurses licensed outside of California in the U.S. and Canada are available through the co-sponsorship of R. Cassidy Seminars. Please visit our website for details. The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
CEU INFORMATION: 13 CE credits available - CAMFT Approved CE provider #134393 (See website for details.)
Center for Healing Shame